Tuesday, January 17, 2012

What’s for Dinner?

Yesterday I found out that I have Celiac disease just like my sister Sala.  That means I can no longer eat anything containing gluten; no wheat, no noodles, no pre-made dinners, no fast food, no gravy, no lunch meat, no taco seasoning, no salad dressing, very few candies…it’s amazing how many things contain gluten.  Basically if it’s not fruit, vegetables, or meat and it’s not labeled “gluten free” I can’t eat.

So what are we going to eat for family dinners?  Well…

A while back we took Daniel to the allergist and found out that he was allergic milk and peanuts. He’s so allergic to peanuts that peanut dust on my hands caused him to break out into a huge rash when I touched him. So dairy and peanuts are out.

Eric, as we all know, has a self proclaimed intolerance to vegetables. When eating a bowl of corn, I’m restricted to the opposite side of the room. 

So we’ll either have long distance family dinners or just eat meat and fruit (except blueberries because Daniel is allergic to those to).

We’ll probably starve….

I just hope no one decides to go vegetarian on me!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you tested positive. I'm glad you know that you have it though. Good luck with dinners!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried some gluten free german chocolate cake. It was amazingly good. You could eat that.

    I'm so sorry that you have that disease! You always make some rice for Eric, and Veggies for you and share the meat... I guess you have to get creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My neighbor brought me a gluten free cupcake yesterday and it was surprisingly good! I don't think eating gluten free will be too bad really, just more expensive and a more time consuming. We'll probably eat a lot healthier so it will probably be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry Shantell. That'll be hard. I've actually been trying to cut gluten out of my diet, too, to see if it will help my hands. Gluten free spaghetti noodles taste so similiar the kids didn't notice. And we've had fried rice with brown rice, tacos with corn tortillas and chicken nuggets that I rolled in gluten-free pancake mix. I think potatoes in their natural form are gluten-free, too. So you can make your own french fries, etc. Try http://www.the-gluten-free-chef.com/ to see what is and is not safe to eat. Good luck and I'll look forward to hearing how creative you get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad this society has geared toward being "gluten free" friendly! I hope the adjustment isn't too terrible. I probably should do some research and see what has gluten in it just for my education.

    ReplyDelete

hi